Note: There are no affiliate links in this post and no ads. Just ordinary links to things I like and use. Any questions? Just ask!
I pulled on my Sauconys to go for a run today and realized that I'd been running in these same shoes since 2014. Not Sauconys -- but THIS pair of Sauconys. It's been that long since it's seemed important/necessary to get new running shoes.
Once I was back at home I did a rough estimate of how many miles were on them, and yeah, I'm more than overdue for a fresh pair of shoes. These were my race day shoes for the Tobacco Road Marathon back in March 2015!
I've been in stability shoes since I started running back in 2011 -- first, the Brooks Adrenaline, then the Ravennas. Later I switched to Saucony and ran in both the Guides and the Mirage, but the Mirage (now discontinued) never really worked for me. The Guides have kept me healthy and fit great. I wear them for road and trail running, and every workout, no matter whether it's a long run or track workout. Every once in a while I get it in my head that I want to try a new shoe, but fear of injury or spending money on something that doesn't work out for me usually stops me. I thought about trying a lighter stability shoe (maybe the Fastwitch) for speedwork or races but let's be honest, I'm a ways away from trying to shave time by cutting a half ounce off my shoes.
Here's the gear I'm into lately:
- Saucony Guide (I'm on the 8, but just ordered the 9). Great shoes! No complaints!
- Nike Essential Running Crops: I've tried other brands but nothing holds up like these Nike 7/8 length crops. And they are not very thick, so I can run in them for three seasons out of four, even here in North Carolina.
- Lululemon Speed Shorts: Every time I try to quit these shorts I come back to them.
- Moving Comfort Juno Bra: A million sizes and colors, and also great for breastfeeding!
- Darn Tough No-Show Sock: I've been running in wool socks since 2012 or so and they are fantastic. I've only gone through about 10 pairs of Smartwool socks since then (WOOL!) but I recently discovered Darn Tough. Their socks come with a lifetime guarantee. A lifetime guarantee!! On SOCKS! Don't let anyone tell you America isn't great.
- Any old shirt I have around the house
- Honey Stinger gels: Easy on the stomach and have more grams of carbs than Gus or any other brand I've found. Plus, caffeine.
- Garmin 310xt: Still into this watch! It's a great watch with a super long battery. I admire the new ones but don't feel the need to upgrade anytime soon.
- iPod Shuffle
- Dog: Still into running with this dog! She lost some of her fitness over the past year or so but now that we're running together it's coming back for both of us. Today during our run, no fewer than 4 people rolled down their windows, leaned out their cars, and gave us a thumbs-up. How's that for an endorsement.